12 FAQs About the 12th Blogging for LGBTQ Families Day
What you need to know.
- Monday, 22 May 2017
Blogging for LGBTQ Families Day is coming up on Thursday, June 1—and even if you don’t have a blog, there are ways you can participate. Got questions? We’ve got answers!
- How do you define “family”? However you want. That’s kind of the point.
- I’m not LGBTQ. May I participate? Of course! Blogging for LGBTQ Families Day is meant to bring together people who are LGBTQ as well as our families and allies. It’s a celebration of LGBTQ families whether you’re part of one, know one, or just want to support them.
- What do I have to post about? Anything that could be construed as celebratory and/or supportive of LGBTQ families. It could be a personal anecdote, political commentary, media review, satire, poem, photo, or video, among other things. Just submit the link here.
- My blog isn’t about LGBTQ families. How can that work? If you don’t usually post about LGBTQ families, feel free to tie in your normal topics, e.g., if you’re a food blogger, you could write about having dinner (real or imagined) with the lesbian moms down the street.
- I’ll be hiking in the wilderness/on a plane/getting my wisdom teeth out on June 1. May I submit early? Yes, please! Submit the link here. I won’t post the list of submissions until June 1 (and I’ll keep updating it all day), but if you get your post in early, it will be among the first to be seen.
- I have a great post on LGBTQ families that I wrote a while back. May I submit it, or do I have to write a new one? Already-written ones are fine, although I discourage you from submitting the same one you’ve submitted to this event in a previous year.
- I don’t know what to write about! Can you help? Yes! Try these ideas.
- I can’t decide among my posts. May I submit more than one? If you’re really torn between two or three, or if you have a two- to three-post series, then yes. Please don’t submit your entire archive, even if all your posts are about LGBTQ families. (If you run a group blog, you may submit more, but no more than the two- to three-post limit for each of your contributors.)
- I have a great new book/product for LGBTQ families. May I submit a post about it? I discourage purely commercial posts. If you want to post more broadly about what motivates you to support LGBTQ families, that’s fine, but please refrain from making a product pitch.
- I don’t have a blog. How can I participate? Several ways:
- Write a Facebook post—just make sure it’s set to be public. Then click the date/time stamp of your Facebook post to go to that post’s specific page, e.g.:and copy that URL from your browser’s address bar to submit.
- Write at a group blog or community you belong to (or join one, like BlogHer).
- Make a video and upload it to YouTube or other video sharing service, then submit the link.
- Take a photo, upload it to Instagram, then submit the link. (Tag it #LGBTQfamilies, too!)
- Ask a local or national LGBTQ, parenting, or faith organization (among others) if you can submit a post to their blog. (Look at their staff list and find who’s in charge of their online stuff or their general communications, and ask nicely.)
- Leave your post as a comment on the master post here on June 1.
- Tweet about the event using the hashtag #LGBTQfamilies.
- I want everyone I know to participate, too. How can I help spread the word? Post at your blog, Facebook page, Twitter account, and other social media locations now to let people know the event is coming up. Use the hashtag #LGBTQfamilies. E-mail your friends (but don’t spam people).
- If you want to use an image: Right click the link (Mac users: click and hold) the image on this post and choose “Download image,” “Save image as…” or “Save picture as….” Follow the prompts in the dialogue box to save to your computer. Upload to your blog or Facebook as you would any image.
- Direct people to https://www.mombian.com/blogging-for-lgbtq-families-day/
- Can you give me an easy message of < 140 characters for Twitter?
Join me on Blogging for LGBTQ Families Day 6/1 & post/tweet in celebration of #LGBTQfamilies! All welcome! Pls RT! http://ow.ly/N44uD
- What about Facebook?
Please join me on June 1 for the 12th Annual Blogging for LGBTQ Families Day! Post on your blog or Facebook in celebration of #LGBTQfamilies, then submit the link here (Facebook posts must be set to “Public”): http://ow.ly/N44uD
- How do I read everyone’s posts? Come back to Mombian on June 1, and I’ll have a master post up listing links to all the entries. I’ll keep it updated throughout the day as new posts come in, so stop back often!