It’s two weeks until the 12th Annual Blogging for LGBTQ Families Day on June 1 — and while you’re welcome to wait until then, many of you may already be thinking about what to post. Here are 20 ideas to inspire you.
Some of these ideas may apply more to members of the LGBTQ community; others may apply more to our family members or allies. You are not limited by these suggestions — feel free to post about anything else that inspires you, as long as it relates somehow to the topic of celebrating or supporting LGBTQ families. Photos and videos are fine, too!
As soon as you’ve posted on your own blog, a group blog where you write, Facebook (public posts only) or another public social media channel, please submit the link here, so I can add you to the master list that will appear here on June 1. I’ll update the list throughout the day on the 1st — but the earlier you submit, the earlier I’ll post it, and the longer your link will be visible here for all to see (and the more traffic will go to your blog to read your post).
- An anecdote from your daily family life. It doesn’t need to be epic (although it can be, if that’s how you roll). Sometimes an everyday moment says it all.
- A story about an LGBTQ family you know. What has knowing them meant to you and/or your kids?
- Why you want(ed) to become a parent.
- A lesson your LGBTQ parent has taught you, or how they’ve inspired you.
- One thing about your family that makes it different from most others around you, and one thing that makes it the same.
- The one thing you’d most like to tell [fill in a politician or other famous person’s name] about LGBTQ families.
- How coming out or transitioning has affected your relationship(s) with your child(ren) or your parent(s).
- The best thing about being part of an LGBTQ family.
- Your favorite book, movie, or TV show that includes LGBTQ parents and/or their children.
- How you’d incorporate LGBTQ parents or kids into an existing book, movie, or TV show that doesn’t have them.
- How a law or court ruling for or against LGBTQ equality has affected your family or one you know.
- Why you support a bill or pending court ruling for LGBTQ equality.
- A photo or video of your family.
- How you celebrate the parenting holidays (Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, and any others you’ve created for your own family.)
- How becoming a parent has changed your relationship with your extended family.
- What you are doing to resist a rollback of equality for LGBTQ families.
- How your faith informs your parenting or your views on LGBTQ families.
- A poem about your family or a family you know.
- A description of your favorite family activity and why it’s your favorite.
- How you are teaching your children about LGBTQ people and/or families.
Please also help spread the word of the event beforehand! Here are two suggested blurbs you can use (and feel free to download and share the image above, too):