Four heroes in the news:
- Trans activist Jenn Burleton, founder and executive director of TransActive Education & Advocacy, a Portland, Oregon based organization that works with parents and schools to support transgender and gender-variant children.
- 18-year-old student Clyde Calloway, for helping to organize a Gay-Straight Alliance at his high school in rural Kentucky, despite threats of violence.
- Mother and writer Sarah Hoffman, whose article in Cookie magazine shows a straight parent’s thoughtful support of her gender-variant son.
- Judy Shepard, who needs little introduction, but who has been fighting to replace hate with acceptance for ten years now, as USA Today documents.
. . . and one villain:
- Oklahoma State Rep. Sally Kern, who thought she was giving her anti-gay tirade only to fellow Republicans. Unfortunately for her, someone recorded the speech in which she says “Not everybody’s lifestyle is equal, just like not all religions are equal” and “I honestly think [homosexuality is] the biggest threat our nation has, even more so than terrorism or Islam.” The Gay & Lesbian Victory Fund has written an open letter to Kern, condemning her speech. You can add your name to the signatories. Pam has some other ideas for actions to take against Kern.